Monday, February 3, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me, on a Monday!



Today is my birthday and it's Monday! I laughed about picking the wrong day for a birthday this morning as I got two grumpy (yet adorable) kiddos off to school. I had fun making up birthday songs like "happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, it's Monday and I have laundry, happy birthday to me" and so on. We had a few good laughs!

To my surprise and delight a sweet friend, who happens to be celebrating her birthday tomorrow, invited me to join her for coffee after we dropped off the kids at my favorite quaint coffee shop. Although, we've only known each other for a few months, we are kindred spirits and we had a wonderful time together.

She asked what I was looking forward to this year, my 37th year. Oddly, I had a hard time answering that question. Of course, I'm looking forward to the MomHeart Conference coming up in a few weeks and some other things like a beach getaway. As I stumbled answering the question, I realized that perhaps I've mastered something that has eluded me for so long: living in the moment. 

You see, I had been trained to set goals and really look forward to things. I was always looking to the next big "exciting" thing whether that be a trip or a big golf tournament. But, I really believe that in my effort to be more intentional with my life, I have began to savor each ordinary day for the gift that it is and not always look to the next great thing to come. Of course, God has been so gracious to me and I am enjoying some of the real "desires of my heart" that have come to pass; like being a part of a University Model School, the new like-minded friends he's placed in my path along with wonderful "tried and true friends",  and a new church home where my family can thrive. I just have so much to be thankful for right now in this moment that it is almost overwhelming.

As the years seem to go faster and faster, my hope for this year is to really savor these days. They will not always be easy and there will be disappointments from time to time, but in each day there will be many gifts and I hope to not miss a single one of them!

Speaking of gifts, we had a little family birthday celebration on Saturday. My sweet girl made the most adorable and delicious cupcakes. I love the little lady that she is becoming!







Every good and perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,
who does not change like shifting shadows.
James 1:17

Blessings,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!